CORBY’S HISTORY

Corby’s steel and iron industry expanded in the 1930s, with the construction of Stewarts and Lloyds’ Steel Works.  The Corby steelworks made a notable contribution to the war effort by manufacturing the steel tubes used in Operation Pluto (Pipe Line Under the Ocean) to supply fuel to Allied forces on the European continent. In 1950, Corby was designated a New Town with William Holford as its architect. By 1951, he prepared the development plan with a car-friendly layout and many areas of open space and woodland.

https://www.corby.gov.uk/home/leisure-culture/leisure-community-facilities/corby-heritage-centre/history-corby